The Cost of Hiring a Mover
Guess What! You're about to move into a brand new home and you don't know what to expect in terms of price. This can be an aggravating task for you and your busy schedule. It's very important to hire a professional mover, while also working around a good budget when planning a move.
There's always many questions when it comes to a move. Sometimes you'll often be left confused or unaware of where to start. Some questions people have is how much is it to start? How much does a mover cost? What is normal for a professional mover?
Find the company
Finding a reputable moving company is never easy. You'll need a few companies to look into so you know which company is a best fit for you. Most professional mover companies will provide a free moving quote. After reading our article you'll have all the information you need in order to make your big move!
What is the cost of professional movers? In most cases, your house move will fall into one of the two main pricing categories – Local Movers or Interstate Movers. Read on to learn the estimated cost to hire movers so that you are truly prepared for the financial side of your upcoming residential move.
The Average Movers Cost
Here at Tri-State-Movers we charge an hourly rate – this is the very first thing you need to remember if you’re moving locally. But what does that mean for you and your budget? It means that the price estimate you should receive by local moving companies should be based on our hourly and estimated hours to complete the move to your brand new home!
Cost of hiring for your local move
- The cost of hiring movers for a small local move is usually about $40-$50 / hour per mover but the exact amount will vary depending on your location in the country, season, and date you're moving from. Also fees will apply depending on the company of your choice.
- When moving with 2 men and a truck, you're average charge is going to be $85-$90 / hour to $95-$100 / hour. As stated previously, the exact date of your move will have change the outcome of the movers rates. busy dates, such as the summer time and the beginning and end of each month.
Costs and Fees
- Local movers usually have additional fees and you should always check with the company's representative to get the estimate that you need. Examples of additional fees are ones such as disposal fees.
- What is the average cost of a local mover? A half day move for example a one bedroom or studio apartment that takes 3-4 hours will on average come to a total cost of $350. That comes from a total of 3 hours of labor and 1 hour of travel time at $85 / hour.
More Costs and Fees
- When moving out of a larger 2 bedroom home, you'll need to be willing to leave your wallet a bit lighter. If you have 2 workers moving for a 7 hour day, that includes 6 hours of labor and 1 hour of travel time. Your average pay once again is $85 / hour; with this you have a total of $595 for the day. Now sometimes you will have to require an extra mover and the price will be increased.
- Local Movers will usually require a cash deposit when scheduling the move so that they can reserve the date for you. When contacting your company make sure you learn as much as possible about the deposit policy.
Keep in mind that the importance in advance to know how much local movers charge. Click here to have a free moving cost estimate by professional local movers.
Price Factors When Moving Cross Country
When making a cross country move there are many factors that come into play. You should know that the price of these types of moves will be calculated rather differently than as if one making a local move. It all comes down to price factors and they will influence that final moving bill.
Most importantly – why does this matter to you? Well, the good news is that once you’re familiar with how your interstate moving cost is formed through the interconnection of the various long distance price factors, then you will be able to apply all sorts of good cost-saving techniques to your advantage.
Home size + shipment weight-. In general, the larger ones home is, the more items your home is goiong to hold. Therefore, the heavier your shipment is now going to become. In comparison to a local movers price / calculated on an hour basis/ cost of interstate move/ state to state move/ are all determined by the total weight of your items being shipped.
- Special items. The general cost of your move is going to vary depending on items. Now if you have a special item, such as a Grand Piano, and you decide to bring it with you the price of the move will increase. The same is true for other large items, for example a hot tub, a chandelier, heavy workout equipment, pool tables, etc. Make sure the company of your choice is aware of every item that you plan on moving to the new home that you choose.
- Extra services. In order to determine your move price with an accurate statement there are several things you will need to determine beforehand. Such as any additional moving services-packing, unpacking, temporary storage, disassembly and reassembly of furniture. Only then will the company of your choice be able to give you an accurate price estimate. And only then will you have peace of mind and full assurance that you will be ready to pay the company at the end of the move.
- Move distance. The actual move itself plays a large role in the cost. However, the factor is something not to be concerned with due to the fact you have no direct control over it.
Interstate Movers Pricing
As already shown above in the previous sections, the cost of hiring movers in town and the cost of hiring out state movers will be rather different. Because of the numerous price factors that influence a house move across the country, it's nearly impossible to calculate on your own the cost to hire movers on your own for an interstate move.
Requesting price estimates from various cross country movers can be difficult, have the company representatives visit your home so that they can provide you with an accurate moving quote so that the reflection of the amount you will pay for your household items are delivered to the new home in a timely fashion.
Use the moving cost estimator at the top of the page to get accurate price quotes from top-rated cross country movers.
The Cost of Cross Country Moving
Use the following in order to find the proper movers and moving company. Use a few different references in order to find the proper company.
- When moving from a small 1-bedroom apartment, your total amount of items will most likely be right around 3500. On average you will be paying $2500 dollars for a move distance of 1000 miles, with 0 services included.
- If you are moving from a family home you have another story. With double the stuff you will have double the cost, now with 5-6000 pounds your average cost will be around $3500-$4000 dollars. These prices are very competitive it's recommended you check with multiple companies when making a large move.
How much does it cost to hire movers?
As cited from the example costs above, this question can have very different answers depending on your location, type of move (Local or Cross Country), and the actual moving company.
Here are some additional and often unexpected fees and charges that come into play when calculating the average cost to hire movers:
Expect to be charged extra if the professional movers are unable to use an elevator on moving day.
Bulk Item Pricing... – Bulk Items are large items that take up large amounts of space or are very heavy items. They may be grand pianos, chandeliers, boats and other (that weigh more than most items for the same volume. Some companies will actually charge a flat rate fee for moving large items such as a piano. It is very important that the company knows about these items ahead of the move. They will need to adjust to accommodate prior to the move
- Long Carry Fee. The long carry fee only applies if you have a significant distance from point A to point B. Often the movers are forced to carry items long distances from the truck to the home. This requires an extra charge. Some customers will reserve a parking space. Others arrange some sort of arrangements prior to the move to save money and time for the mover.
- Cancellation fees... - Another issue with some companies are cancellation fees. These may come into play if you change your moving date or the moving company is unable to work out a proper date. The fee is usually the same as the deposit fee.
- Storage fees... - A storage fee will come into play when a time period between deliveries is requested. If this is necessary, the moving company of your choice will now have to store your belongings for you. Depending on your choice, this charge may or may not be significant.
There are many charges that you need to be aware of when choosing your moving company. It's always best to contact your moving representative ahead of time to find out what these are.
Fees Fees Fees....
- Express delivery charge or Exact delivery date charge... This fee will apply if you are in need of a quick delivery or also a specific date
- Disposal fees (environmental charges)... - A mover will charge this fee Based on the needs of the customer. Typically its used when the disposal or removal of used moving boxes and additional packing materials are needed.
- Extra stop charge... - This fee in addition to will now apply mainly for local deliveries when multiple locations are needed for a move.