The Cost of Hiring a Mover
Guess What! You're about to move into a brand new home and you don't know what to expect in terms of price. This can be an aggravating task for you and your busy schedule. It's very important to hire professional movers, also work around a good budget when planning a move.
There's always many questions when it
comes to a move. Sometimes you'll often be left confused or unaware of where to
start. Some questions people have is how much is it to start? How much are your
movers? What is normal for a professional mover?
Find the company
Finding a reputable moving company is
never easy. You'll need a few companies to look into so you know which company
is a best fit for you. Most professional companies will provide a free moving
quote. After reading our article you'll have all the information you need in
order to make your big move!
What is the cost of professional movers?
In most cases, your house move will fall into one of the two main pricing
categories – Local Movers or Interstate Movers. Read on to learn the estimated
cost to hire movers so that you are truly prepared for the financial side of
your upcoming residential move.
The Average Movers Cost
Here at Tri-State-Movers we charge an hourly
rate – this
is the very first thing you need to remember if you’re moving locally. But what
does that mean for you and your budget? It means that the price estimate you
should receive by local moving companies should be based on our hourly and estimated
hours to complete the move to your brand new home!
Cost of hiring for your local move
- The cost of hiring movers for a small local move is usually about $40-$50 / hour per mover but the exact amount will vary depending on your location in the country, season, and date you're moving from. Also fees will apply depending on the company of your choice.
- When moving with 2 men and a truck, you're average charge is going to be $85-$90 / hour to $95-$100 / hour. As stated previously, the exact date of your move will have change the outcome of the movers rates. busy dates, such as the summer time and the beginning and end of each month.
Costs and Fees
- Local movers usually have additional fees and you should always check with the company's representative to get the estimate that you need. Examples of additional fees are ones such as disposal fees.
- What is the average cost of a local mover? A half day move for example a one bedroom or studio apartment that takes 3-4 hours will on average come to a total cost of $350. That comes from a total of 3 hours of labor and 1 hour of travel time at $85 / hour.
More Costs and Fees
- When moving out of a larger 2 bedroom home, you'll need to be willing to leave your wallet a bit lighter. If you have 2 workers moving for a 7 hour day, that includes 6 hours of labor and 1 hour of travel time. Your average pay once again is $85 / hour; with this you have a total of $595 for the day. Now sometimes you will have to require an extra mover and the price will be increased.
- Local Movers will usually require a cash deposit when scheduling the move so that they can reserve the date for you. When contacting your company make sure you learn as much as possible about the deposit policy.
in mind that the importance in advance to know how much local movers charge. Click here to
have a free moving cost estimate by professional local movers.
Price Factors When Moving
making a cross country move there are many factors that come into play. You
should know that the price of these types of moves will be calculated rather
differently than as if one making a local move. It all comes down to price
factors and they will influence that final moving bill.
Most importantly – why does this matter
to you? Well, the good news is that once you’re familiar with how your
interstate moving cost is formed through the interconnection of the various
long distance price factors, then you will be able to apply all sorts of good
cost-saving techniques to your advantage.
Home size + shipment weight-. In general, the larger ones home is, the more items your home is goiong to hold. Therefore, the heavier your shipment is now going to become. In comparison to a local movers price / calculated on an hour basis/ cost of interstate move/ state to state move/ are all determined by the total weight of your items being shipped.
- Special items. The general cost of your move is going to vary depending on items. Now if you have a special item, such as a Grand Piano, and you decide to bring it with you the price of the move will increase. The same is true for other large items, for example a hot tub, a chandelier, heavy workout equipment, pool tables, etc. Make sure the company of your choice is aware of every item that you plan on moving to the new home that you choose.
- Extra services. In order to determine your move price with an accurate statement there are several things you will need to determine beforehand. Such as any additional moving services-packing, unpacking, temporary storage, disassembly and reassembly of furniture. Only then will the company of your choice be able to give you an accurate price estimate. And only then will you have peace of mind and full assurance that you will be ready to pay the company at the end of the move.
- Move distance. The actual move itself plays a large role in the cost. However, the factor is something not to be concerned with due to the fact you have no direct control over it.
Interstate Movers Pricing
already shown above in the previous sections, the cost of hiring movers in town
and the cost of hiring out state movers will be rather different. Because of
the numerous price factors that influence a house move across the country, it's
nearly impossible to calculate on your own the cost to hire movers on your own
for an interstate move.
Requesting price estimates from various
cross country movers can be difficult, have the company representatives visit
your home so that they can provide you with an accurate moving quote so
that the reflection of the amount you will pay for your household items are
delivered to the new home in a timely fashion.
Use the moving cost estimator
at the top of the page to get accurate price quotes from top-rated cross
The Cost of Cross Country Moving
following in order to find the proper movers and moving company. Use a few
different references in order to find the proper company.
- When moving from a small 1-bedroom apartment, your total amount of items will most likely be right around 3500. On average you will be paying $2500 dollars for a move distance of 1000 miles, with 0 services included.
- If you are moving from a family home you have another story. With double the stuff you will have double the cost, now with 5-6000 pounds your average cost will be around $3500-$4000 dollars. These prices are very competitive it's recommended you check with multiple companies when making a large move.
How much does it cost to
cited from the example costs above, this question can have very different
answers depending on your location, type of move (Local or Cross Country), and
the actual moving company.
are some additional and often unexpected fees and charges that come into play
when calculating the average cost to hire movers:
Expect to be charged
extra if the professional movers are unable to use an elevator on moving day.
Bulk Item Pricing – Bulk Items; such as grand pianos,
chandeleirs, boats and other large items that take up large amounts of space or
are very heavy items (that weigh more than most items for the same volume. Some
companies will actually charge a flat rate fee for moving large items such as a
piano. It is very important that the company knows about these items ahead of
the move as the amount of workers may vary.
- Long Carry Fee - The long carry fee will only come into apply if you have a significant distance from point A to point B. When the movers are forced to carry items long distances from the truck to the home, an extra charge will be added. Some customers will reserve a parking space or arrange some sort of parking arrangements prior to the move to save money.
- Cancellation fees - Another issue with some companies are cancellation fees. These may come into play if you change your moving date or the moving company is unable to work out a proper date. The fee is usually the same as the deposit fee.
- Storage fees - A storage fee will come into play when a time period between deliveries is requested. If this is necessary, the moving company of your choice will now have to store your belongings for you. Depending on your choice, this charge may or may not be significant.
are many charges that you need to be aware of when choosing your moving
company. It's always best to contact your moving representative ahead of time
to find out what these are.
Fees Fees Fees....
- Express delivery charge or Exact delivery date charge – This fee will apply if you are in need of a quick delivery or also a specific date
- Disposal fees (environmental charges) - This fee will usually apply when the disposal or removal of used moving boxes and additional packing materials left over from the relocation site.
- Extra stop charge - This fee in addition to will now apply mainly for local deliveries when multiple locations are needed for a move.